Saturday, November 6, 2010

Reading the New York Times...


Reading the The New York Times…



I didn’t kill anyone today
nor blow up car or truck
nor bomb an airplane
or throw a deadly grenade.

I targeted no mosque or church
neither did I torture, nor wound
or kidnap, or kill a Christian,
or a Jew, or a Muslim, not a woman, or child
or a black person, or a brown person and no Indian.

No man or woman died by my hand
not harmed for that matter.
no vengeful names were spoken,
no racial slurs or epitaphs were hurled at human beings.

We know the words – cracker, white boy, trailer trash,
nigger, jig, spic, Jew boy, Polock, greaser, wet back,
camel jockey, towel head, goyam – on and on
those word bullets, those word IEDs,

I didn’t kill anyone today.

But, I wrote a poem
And I’ll write another tomorrow
and another the day after.
to balance explosions with exploration
I say - hang poetry in the streets of Baghdad and Kabul

From artists around the world – not politicians,
not investment bankers, not business people,
not weapons makers – post poems.
Let poetry stop the war.
I’ll write the first one:

There are five million orphans in Iraq
who want to go out and play
could the grown ups get off of the jungle gyms

and give the poor kids their day.


Could the Sunnis put away their weapons
might the Shiites check in their guns
perhaps Americans will finally get the message
stop the money and send the whole circus home.

J.E. Dorsey – 11.05.10
Copyright © Doug Claybourne 2010. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment