Friday, November 12, 2010

Darcy, remembering Christmas…



It’s late –
I’m sitting
surrounded by
wrapping papers -
and open boxes
in a tiny room
of my apartment.

Yours is the last gift
to wrap,
as I look out
the dark window East
I pause to consider
Christmas again.

So many memories are stirring.
Early morning under
a lighted tree,
half eaten chocolate chip cookies –
a half full glass of milk -
that first peek out of my door
down the hallway before the break
of dawn.
There was so much happiness
in my childhood -
it comes flooding over me
fresh with these morning memories.
I hear the sound of Christmas music,
Johnny Mathis and Ray Conniff –
our parent’s favorite albums –
thirty-three and a half rpms,
of scratchy, sentimental music
monuments to the 1950’s.

It’s late –
but I stopped to think of you
love you for a few minutes
free of all distractions,
push all the years back
that get in the way of holding
one another.

So this Christmas –
when you open your presents,
read these words,
receive this gift,
know that you are each,
so much a part of me –
connected by these sweet memories.

You are with me every Christmas,
as I move down
that dark hallway
to take the first peek with you –
each and every Christmas,
until the day I pass away.


J.E. Dorsey – 12.23.02 – Rev.11.24.03 Rev. 11.12.10
Copyright © Doug Claybourne 2010. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment