Tuesday, November 2, 2010

the stranger...



I watch you
walk to the sea,
hear your light footsteps
splash against my soul.
I notice the way
your feet -
naked delights,
fall against the sand -
each step rightly placed.

You are mysterious,
standing close to the water,
waves falling at your feet,
keys in hand.
You are a captivating image.
I notice your hair,
the dark curly tresses,
are sensual and lovely.

The silk dress you wear
clings against your body -
revealing with the on shore breeze.
You walk thinking,
A siren at the sea
and I wonder,
what brings you here
what thoughts,
         what tragedy,
                  what tryst or trial
                           do you carry on your journey.
I watch you linger,
         by the sea,
                  then disappear -
melting into the hulls of boats,
         vanish with the squawk
                  of sea gulls voices.

J.E.Dorsey 07.23.99 - Week #29 – Rev. 11.02.10
Later, when this woman walked by me to leave, I spoke to her.  She had a retainer over her perfect teeth and a wide smile, making her face light up. She was embarrassed when I read the poem outloud. She said it was true, that life’s trials did bring her here. She did not realize it was so obvious, nor that I was so intuitive.“You brightened my day,” she said. “May I keep the poem?” “Yes, of course” I answered,  and what is your name?” “Laura” she said. She smiled, took the poem and walked away. Copyright © Doug Claybourne 2010. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment