Monday, June 13, 2011

The Thin Line…inspired by Terrence Malick



I

It is true
I admire the beauty
of a woman’s breasts
rose buds, the sensual curve
to peaked mountains
nipples standing erect
against the open sea.

II

Even searching my memory
back thirty years
to a ship steaming from Japan
across black waters
to tiny Vietnam
I remember well -
nights bursting with stars.

III

Crossing over an ocean
stuffed with adventure
so alive at twenty one -
a witness to our expanding galaxy
above the full horizon -
the breath of a dark angel
on my mouth – then as now.

IV

Sucked out
as the first incoming rockets
crash indiscriminately - killing
into our compound -
fathers, brothers and sons
I am lifted out of my bed by concussion
twisted pure and brutal.

V

That first image
of death draws me back -
like a single flower in a vast field
alone with the wind
blowing, moving – then still again
stem bent
by invisible fingers.

VI

There was that moment
of recognition -
as a startled quail bolts -
then drops, shot from the blue sky,
breast heavy with pellets
life slipping away
before our eyes.

VII

It was moving
as your vision
of sweeping blades of grass
covering the round
bosomed hills streaming bullets
of dark red blood
into boys running
on their death day.

O tears, I lay waiting
for that hot smothering kiss
to be born again
and in that last breath
of blood and metal and mud
there is smoke -
and a fire burning.

VIII

My love -
you were there with me -
in the heat of my heart,
and the night - sharing my loneliness
terrified of death and his messenger
coming in nightmares
haunting my bones.

IX

This confession is mine.
I am the one
who comes crying -
tears in my eyes,
with the hope of experiencing miracles
I am singing my country tis of thee
sweet land of lost legs and arms.


X

There is a silence
when death stops bleeding
it is in my heart -
there is a desperation
floating in the mist
with a lost friend
laughing - in one’s memory.

XI

Your ancient alligator has
washed up from some silent river.
What do his eyes see?
I have misplaced the desire
to hold her,
to be held.
in her arms.

XII

I receive your mother’s letter
there is a sad relief - yet
a deep unbearable sorrow.
I still see her face, happy, laughing -
the little grin, the wrinkles tend,
to go away from us
with his baby - and your broken promises.

XIII

There is no anger,
not this far from the truth.
I shiver momentarily, feeling the rain -
the monsoons of Chu Lai,
fall on thin tin metal roofs -
on beer cans and rough canvas.
The smell of shit burning is in my nose.

XIV

O my soul,
you are drifting
and my memory is melting away
I am seeing you again
with closed eyes and
the once soft cheeks -
death is the mystery
that finally brings us together,

all strangers – all lovers.



J.E. Dorsey – aka Doug Claybourne

Copyright © Doug Claybourne 1999-2011. All Rights Reserved.

For Terrence Malick after watching his film, The Thin Red Line
On the 2 nd viewing and for Polly Platt on her birthday 01.29.99

J.E. Dorsey was a violin maker in Houston, Texas and the grandfather of Doug Claybourne. The pen name keeps his grandfather alive in Claybourne’s heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment