Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My toast...


You are perfect
in every way
born out of love
arrived as a “Rosebud”
a tiny bundle
of joy –
blue eyes wide open
not a tear
I remember
and I was there –
every moment
for every hour of labor
push after push
and you have the proof
in film – bright images
of your very beginnings
those first days, hours, seconds
of your precious life
and twenty nine years
each is a blessing to us.
Now you begin again –
and here I stand
as witness again
to the bliss you share
with mother and brother
friends and family alike
the joining of two hearts.
That you have found love
in this man –
our young Prince from Wales
and that the two of you
will be one for life
is a gift beyond knowing
and I witness that love
with my abundant kisses..
and smell your hand made flowers
and with the same
extraordinary delight
I remember from all those years ago
when you were handed to me
as a tiny infant
of some seven pounds
O the great unknown landscape ahead of us
all the wonder and the terror of not knowing –
Yet, all the adventure
all loving mystery unfolding
day by day
moment by moment.
I surrender you now
as that little girl
I remember
to be this woman
wife and partner
perhaps a mother
one day
if you choose.
My dearest “Rosebud”
my sweet Prince from Wales
Gareth – now son in law,
new friend.
This is my toast to
the two of you
these are my tears
this is my happiness.


Doug Claybourne – 03.03.13 – for Gareth and Signe – A toast on
their Wedding Day.

Copyright c 2013. Doug Claybourne. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment