Thursday, June 14, 2012

For Wang Wei, Li Bai and Du Fu...

I

for Wang Wei…After Deer Park

Light fades, only the sound of the crowds remain,
traffic on Beach Boulevard, the honorable sushi guests
overtake the crashing waves in strains,
a cacophony of noise made, while purity of vision rests.

Cape Town

II

After Wang Wei…Birdsong Book

He talks on his mobile phone
while all around him is God
So much consciousness –
lovers on the beach –
a sailboat passes by –
couples walk hand in hand
surfers are downed by waves
in every human being – a full life exists.


III

After Wang Wei – Autumn Nightfall..

The lighthouse stands empty,
silent along beach boulevard at sunset.
Only my loneliness is loud,
as the restaurant where I sit writing.
Suddenly, a green light goes on
in the lighthouse turret
and I notice an attractive woman alone.
The twilight burns with wonder.



IV

 

After Li Bai – off to Yangzhou


I know you have said goodbye
yet – the sorrow is still mine
to caress – to love – to hold
until it is all a dream.
and the sake is gone -
then I go home alone in sadness.


V

 

For Li Bai…Listening to a Monk from Shu Playing the Lute


I will get drunk tonight on sake –
and celebrate our years together
now finished
watch the ocean go black and gray
here on the southern most continent of Africa.
I will kiss you goodbye -
and think myself to sleep.


VI

After Du Fu…A Fine Lady…in Cape Town.

It’s black night -
as my heart is dark this night.
my last in Cape Town.
as once, sometime long ago my
heart was full of hope –
not now –
night is watching
and the sea stretches out
like eternity.

J.E. Dorsey – aka Doug Claybourne
Copyright © 2005. 2012. Doug Claybourne All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment