Sunday, May 22, 2011

Fourteen Irises...

 
Fourteen purple Irises stand
as tall sentries in our garden -

where only two stood

a few days ago.
Another gray day in Brooklyn unfolds
as May brings only questions
not our answers.
Yet all the blooming witnessed here
reassures my sturdy heart.
Our wild birds await their meal
and now –
twelve white French Irises
replace the two from only days ago –
and a tiny violet flower
I’ve yet to identify -
springs forward within the grouping
as an exotic voice speaking
to the large mystery of life.
It is so quiet this Sunday afternoon
not even a jet approaches LaGuardia -
even the F train is not running today
where weekdays the trains enter and exit
4th Avenue and 9th Street like clockwork.
Our shy cat has eaten her breakfast
and only Thursdays must I move my car
for street cleaning.
So, I sit still writing -
while my partner is running
I am searching inside myself
to find the soul of poetry.
I will fill the bird feeder late today – and wait
for feathers to fly or a breeze as a sign – that god is not dead
but alive in the bloom of spring.


J.E. Dorsey – for L.D. & S.F.
Copyright © 2011. Doug Claybourne. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment